shipshistories...
Main The Fleet Ships of the Fleet Iona (VI) History
This “red boat” was built in succession to the fifth IONA – the launch of 1950, wrecked by the tail-end of a hurricane in September 1961 - took up her place for Iona and Staffa duties (the latter till Staffa landings ceased in 1965); looked pretty well like all the other red boats; and was, naturally, painted red.

The wee IONA happened to be relieving at Craignure when the new pier was opened in 1964, and solemnly led in the LOCHEARN for the ceremonial opening. Twenty years later she served at Tobermory while the pier was being rebuilt, and then repaired to Eigg as flitboat there. In February 1988, on reporting to Shandon for overhaul, she was found to be riddled with woodworm and was duly broken up, her rather new engine being retained for spares.
 

PICTURE: Wilson Scott
IONA at Tobermory with LOCHNELL

Text thanks to John MacLeod (C) Picture: Wilson Scott


All material on this site © Ships of CalMac 2001 - 2017, unless otherwise stated.
Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Join us on Flickr View us on YouTube SoC AIS SoC Forum Site NOT linked to Official Company
This site is NOT connected to the Official Company Site - www.calmac.co.uk
Contact Us ¦
Read our Privacy Policy