Ships of the Fleet
Such is the pride the Clyde
takes in her ships that remarkably few vessels built elsewhere have ever been
acquired for passenger service on river or Firth; but early in 1967 the
Caledonian Steam Packet Co. Ltd was in rather a jam. The Company was still
reeling from the purge of 1965, when four ships were laid up for disposal in the
wake of the infamous Beeching Report not only such legends as the beautiful
paddler JEANIE DEANS (1931) and the majestic DUCHESS OF MONTROSE (1930), but two
very useful little passenger ferries, ASHTON and LEVEN, built originally for
up-river service during Glasgow's 1938 Empire Exhibition and latterly on the
Largs-Millport station. They were closely modelled on the very first
motor-vessel ever built for the CSP, the WEE CUMBRAE of 1935.
All four veterans were duly
sold in 1965 the tragic end of the steamers is a little offset by the
knowledge that the sometime ASHTON and LEVEN survive in English service even in
2004 and the CSP were left with very limited Clyde resources. In 1966 the
pressure became all the greater when, for the third time in fifteen years, the
Company was denied permission to close its ruinous service from Gourock to the
commuters of Kilcreggan, Blairmore and Kilmun; there was also mounting concern
about TALISMAN, the extraordinary but oddly loved diesel-electric paddler of
1935, which was a very useful year-round ferryboat but, after a silly
engine-room mishap in February 1966, never recovered mechanically and ran on
only three of her four generating engines.
The CSP was therefore faced
with the prospect of running both the damned Holy Loch commuter-run and its
services to Millport with very limited spare passenger capacity amounting to
one little MAID, the old and clapped-out TALISMAN and the tiny COUNTESS OF
BREADALBANE. At this point Providence, and the higher echelons of the British
Railways behemoth, took a hand: late in 1967 the CSP was offered a spare ferry
from BR (Eastern Region) the 214-ton ROSE, built at Southampton only in 1961
for the short Tilbury-Gravesend service on the Thames, and one of an identical
trio constructed for that passage.
Suitable financial terms had
to be agreed ROSE was valued at £53,000 but the sudden availability of new
tonnage for the Clyde fleet was not lightly to be dismissed and early in 1967
the Gourock management decided to accept the vessel. She would effectively be
the replacement for TALISMAN, laid up at Greenock's Albert Harbour since
November 1966, after her last run to the Holy Loch. It speaks volumes for the
plight of the CSP through the 1960s that the Thames ferry would be their first
addition to the Clyde fleet since GLEN SANNOX ten years before.
ROSE was officially registered
as a CSP vessel on 11th April 1967, but only left the Thames on
Monday 24th April. She made a leisurely voyage of three weeks'
duration by Inverness and the Caledonian Canal, reaching on Monday 15th
May. She was immediately berthed at Greenock's east India Graving Dock for an
extensive refit, which took a full month and cost about £7,000.
The ROSE lost all her
hydraulic landing gangways replaced by primitive gateways in her rails for the
accommodation of equally primitive wooden gangways, the sort of Luddite
absurdity that equally characterised CSP management in the 1960s. As her new
estuary had a much more exciting range of tides, a special landing platform was
built above the forward deckhouse, and all trace of her little foredeck was lost
once her bows had been heightened to the level of the upper deck. At the after
end of her top deck a deckhouse was added, with toilet facilities; the basics of
a cafeteria were added to her after lounge and extra crew accommodation was
fitted up in the forward cabin.
She was of sleek but slightly
odd appearance; her single mast, amidships, also served as uptake for her
exhaust, in a manner only later reflected by any other ship in the company, the
SUILVEN of 1974. ROSE's mast-cum-funnel was duly painted in the Caley yellow
there was already a black top but no lion was added.
What was really important
about this vessel was her propulsion: ROSE was the first ship in either fleet to
be powered not by paddles or a conventional screw but by a Voith Schneider
cycloidal propeller, driven by one six-cylinder Lister-Blackstone diesel engine.
Ernst Schneider' ingenious invention deploying a complex system of gears to
vary the pitch of downward-projecting vanes in a birling drum had not even been
devised with any thought for ships.
Schneider was a Viennese
engineer who, in the 1920s, had amused himself by conceiving a new sort of
water-turbine to harness hydro-electric power from rivers. He boasted of his
invention to Ludwig Kober they met on the Vienna express and Kober in turn
reported the development to his boss, Herr Walter Voith of J M Voith Ltd, an
Austrian engineering company which specialised in water-turbines, pumps and so
Mr Voith's technicians fell on
Schenider's invention, but rapidly ascertained that it was not really as
efficient as a variable-pitch turbine already on their drawing-board. Yet tests
were conducted with true Teutonic rigour, and almost accidentally they
discovered that if one reversed the process, and ran Ernst Schenider's gadget
as a pump it produced a powerful thrust in any desired horizontal direction,
writes Alan Brown, solely by adjustment of the blade oscillatory control and
without having to turn the unit in azimuth. It was quickly appreciated that this
device successfully eliminated all the problems which had bedevilled previous
attempts to design a practical vertically bladed propeller, and as such offered
tremendous potential as a combined propulsion and steering unit for ships.
The dream of the
Voith-Schneider propeller was born; within months there was a Voith-Schneider
unit department at J M Voith Ltd.'s Polten works; and by 1928 there was the
first Voith-Schneider ship a wee 60hp motor-launch, the TORQUEO. She was a
huge success on exhaustive trials in Lake Constance and the Deutsche Reichsbahn
Gesellschaft German State Railways, who ran a big fleet of steamers and
ferries on that lake, quickly took notice. The three ships built for DRG service
on Lake Constance in 1931 were all fitted with twin Voith-Schneider units and
were such a success that the propulsion became standard for all Lake Constance
ships not just those of the DRG, but the Austrian Federal Railway fleet.
Ernst Schneider could now show
off his invention in spectacular style in real service conditions and had
abundant opportunity to fine-tune it further. Though it looks like nothing so
much as a slightly weird blender an ominous revolving drum with projecting
vertical vanes, which can be rotated by ingenious gears to provide equal thrust
in any given direction the Voith-Schneider unit was the biggest innovation
since the advent of the screw-propeller. In one of innovative engineering's rare
happy endings, by the end of the 1930s there were 78 ships worldwide boasting
Voith-Schneider propulsion and Ernst Schneider was a very rich man.
And in 1938 the technology
reached Britain, with a new Isle of Wight ferry, LYMINGTON, produced by
Denny's of Dumbarton and boasting Voith-Schneider propulsion; in one of these
engaging circularities that marks this story, she would end her career as a very
old lady on the Firth of Clyde SOUND OF SANDA< acquired by Western Ferries for
their Upper Clyde crossing in 1974, would survive in service until the end of
1989, still with her original W H Allen engines and over fifty years old.
Yet Voith-Schneider propulsion
was very slow to catch on in Britain partly because of our innate
conservatism, partly because LYMINGTON was long stalked by problems that were
really due to bad hull design; and most of all, after 1939, because it was
German. It was, then, 1967 before it appears in Company history this
extraordinary propeller on the ROSE, acting as both rudder and screw and
directed from her wheelhouse by a single, combined speed and steering-control
ROSE duly emerged from her
last alterations at Lamont's yard in Port Glasgow to run trials on Sunday 11th
June. She attained a mean speed of 9.45 knots and if as Iain MacArthur
observes this was hardly an improvement on the old COUNTESS [OF
BREADALBANE]... this deficiency is partially compensated for by her
remarkable manoeuvrability. The CSP's latest acquisition took up service on the
Largs-Millport crossing on the evening of Monday 12th June 1967; a
week later, she appeared with a new name, KEPPEL, after the Isle of Cumbrae's
secondary pier. It was duly registered on 27th June but, to general
surprise, the ship remained registered at London, not Glasgow.
Though small, distinctly slow,
definitely cramped her passenger facilities were pretty spartan - and of very
odd appearance KEPPEL survived for many years. At first supported by some MAID
or other, running a Millport service from Wemyss Bay; then the rather skeletal
car ferry service to Millport from the ABC ferries; and finally, from the spring
of 1972, by various vessels on the new Cumbrae Slip vehicular service from
Largs, KEPPEL just kept on going.
More, she became surprisingly
popular. And she had proved an important pioneer: it is no exaggeration to say
that the success of her Voith-Schneider machinery was a big factor in choosing
such units for the new Skye ferries of 1970; and, later, for the Upper Clyde
streakers built between 1973 and 1977 not to mention Voith-Schneider units
in yet more double-ended car ferries constructed for Caledonian MacBrayne in the
80s and 90s.
By the end of 1970 she was the
only ship to berth overnight at the Cumbrae pier and by the end of 1974, she was
the Company's only vessel to serve Millport regularly. That same year, the lower
reaches of her funnel were painted red and for the first time she acquired a
tiny lion. Through the week she started berthing overnight at Rothesay so she
could carry out one of the morning commuter runs to Wemyss Bay.
For her first three years with
the CSP, KEPPEL was employed year-round on the Largs to Millport station. But
there was no winter service in 1970-71, nor subsequently, and then and
thereafter she whizzed about off-season as handy spare passenger tonnage, being
seen, records Iain McCrorie, at Kilcreggan; the old North Bank terminal at
Craigendoran; the Holy Loch and Dunoon. In March 1974 she opened CalMac's new
Ardyne contract, bearing oil-rig workers from Wemyss Bay to Innellan; later, she
would relieve McAlpine's own vessel, QUEEN OF SCOTS, sailing from the Ardyne
yard to Rothesay.
But Ardyne's yard closed in
1977 (with the loss of many jobs) and thereafter KEPPEL was laid up of a CalMac
winter She did emerge in March 1980 to convey Millport schoolchildren the
LARGS was toiling with Cumbrae passenger traffic in the absence of ISLE OF
CUMBRAE (1977) for overhaul but probably wished she hadn't, for KEPPEL broke
down in heavy weather and ran aground at Farland Point, sustaining considerable
damage. She was repaired in time to assumer her summer duties, including a new
feature an afternoon cruise round Cumbrae.
There was even more cruising
in the summer of 1981, though GLEN SANNOX no longer ran as an excursion steamer
and CalMac had supposedly abandoned the Clyde trade to the WAVERLEY. KEPPEL
offered a Largs-Rothesay sailing every afternoon (except Saturday) at 2 pm,
allowing an hour ashore before resuming her roster with a 1710 Millport-Largs
run. This Cumbrae Circle cruise revived a popular Clyde outing of the 50s and
60s. KEPPEL had also become a very popular ship to charter, and took
camera-toting enthusiasts to long abandoned, near-derelict piers like Ormidale,
Portencross and of course Keppel.
She was under growing threat
from the mounting deterioration of Millport Old Pier; Strathclyde Regional
Council announced in September 1984 that it would not fund vital repairs. There
was alarm that this might prove to be KEPPEL's last season, especially as the
Monoploies & Mergers Commission report into Calmac operations, in 1983, had
already suggested the end of the Largs-Millport passenger link. Secretary of
State for Scotland, George Younger, did in fact order its closure early in 1985.
But there were howls of outrage from Millport and the Scottish Transport Users
Consultative Committee to whose 1966 intervention at Kilmun the KEPPEL owed a
Clyde career in the first place - forced a compromise. Until new car ferries
appeared on the Largs-Cumbrae Slip crossing with more passenger capacity, KEPPEL
and her duties could survive.
LOCH STRIVEN and LOCH LINNHE
duly took up station at Largs on 4th July 1986; the ISLE OF CUMBRAE
fled to Mull duties the Fishnish-Lochaline route in August. But KEPPEL
survived, even after her last Largs-Millport sailing on 18th June.
She was now dedicated to Clyde cruising, and through successive summers gave
excursion sailings from Gourock to the principal resorts as well as Loch Long,
Carrick Castle and the Kyles of Bute. In 1988 KEPPEL was a regular visitor
upriver to the Glasgow Garden Festival and she continued to run charter sailings
to yet more exotic locations down Memory Lane Ardnadam, Strone and Blairmore,
often under the auspices of the Clyde River Steamer Club. Her range was of
course somewhat restricted by her low speed.
But passenger numbers fell
substantially in the early 1990s and KEPPEL was withdrawn at the end of the 1992
season. Offered for sale, she was acquired on 20th May 1993 by
Inverclyde Marine, who hoped to operate her for Clyde cruisin in their own
right. So she was renamed CLYDE ROSE though the name was never registered and,
donning a blue funnel, ran for a few hapless months, attracting very little
charter business and though a timetable was published very few passengers.
The enterprise lasted only one summer and by the autumn of 1993 the ex-Millport
ferry was once more redundant. After lying for some time in Cardwell Bay, the
CLYDE ROSE was sold to Maltese interests and left the Clyde on 22nd
She now offers round-the-island excursions from Malta and is once
again called KEPPEL. Click
here to go to a You Tube clip of Keppel in her current role (many thanks to
Dave Worth for providing the link)
Text thanks to John MacLeod (C)
All material on this site © Ships of
CalMac 2001 - 2017, unless otherwise stated.
This site is NOT connected to the Official Company Site -
Contact Us ¦ Read our