Current / Last Route
David MacBrayne Ltd.
Kelvin - Ricardo
Hoist & Lifts:
1937 - c1939: Fort William Excursions / Flit Boat
c1939 - c1945: Diving Operations in Lochaber (War Time)
c1945 - 1948: Laid Up at Bridge Wharf, Glasgow
1948 - 1953: Flit-Boat at Glenelg (With Periods of Lay Up at Shandon, Gairloch)
1953 - 1963: Rodel Flit-Boat
1963 - 1967: Loch Shiel Service
GARRY was one of those MacBrayne motor-launches – a “red boat” or “flit boat”, deployed largely for ferrying passengers ashore from a larger vessel where there was no suitable pier – which had a surprisingly long career with the company. Of obscure origins, she was acquired by David MacBrayne Ltd in 1937 for short Fort William excursions and for landing passengers from such passing vessels as the second-hand steamer LOCHGARRY (built in 1898, acquired also in 1937 and lost on Admiralty service in 1942.)
During the Second World War GARRY herself was deployed for diving operations – Lochaber was a restricted area for the duration; the Commandoes and Special Operations Executive trained viciously in the district – and then spent several years lying uselessly in a shed at Bridge Wharf, Glasgow. From 1948 to 1953 she was flit-boat at Glenelg – with more periods laid up at Shandon on the Gairloch – and then spent ten years on similarly service at Rodel, where LOCHMOR called on passage from Lochmaddy to Tarbert.
Later, GARRY became secondary vessel at Loch Shiel, Moidart – MacBrayne's last entirely land-locked route, there being at that time no road from Lochailort to Acharacle – and was laid up at the latter village when the Loch Shiel service ceased on 30th September 1967 on opening of that highway.
Early in 1969 the little craft was sold to D Henderson of Newton, Acharacle; and in March 1970 to Mr Ewen Shaw of Onich. She may still survive.