Lochnell

Gaelic Name:

Type:

Callsign:

IMO:

MMSI:

Launched:

Acquired:

Wood MV

0

??/12/1946

Entered Service:

Disposed:

10/06/1981

N/A

DIMENSIONS

Length:

51.5'

Draught:

Breadth:

4.9'

14.1'

Gross Tonnage:

CAPACITIES

Passengers:

Cars:

Crew:

Lifeboats:

25

0

0

0

Current / Last Route

30/06/1947

31

DETAILS

Ordered By:

Cost:

Registered:

Launched by: 

Named after:

Glasgow Corporation

Glasgow

A Loch near Oban on the Mainland.

TECHNICAL

Builders:

Jas. A Silver Lyd, Roseneath

Yard No:

0

Engine Builders:

Bergius Kelvin Co. Ltd.

Machinery:

8 cyls., 4 ¼” - 6 5/8”. (Re-engined 1958.)

Speed:

8.5

Hoist & Lifts:

FACILITIES

A passenger cabbin, two watertight bulkheads.

ROUTE TIMELINE

1947 - 1965: Oban - Lismore
1965 - 1968: Kyle of Lochalsh - Toscaig / Kylerhea / Kyle Cruises
1968 - 1981: Tobermory - Mingary (& Tender Duites at Tobermory from 1976)

History

The new mail contract of 3rd June 1947 bound David MacBrayne Ltd to providing a new twice-daily service by motor launch between Oban and the pleasant little island of Lismore. Accordingly the Company had acquired in December 1946 the former hospital launch Galen, built in 1941 under the auspices of Glasgow Corporation (acting for the Port Health Authority) to ferry stretchered patients ashore from ships in the Clyde anchorage. The craft had a cabin, naturally, and was carvel-built, with two watertight bulkheads and a transom stern.

She was renamed LOCHNELL and took up the Lismore service on 30th June 1947. Initially she could carry 25 passengers in summer and twelve in winter. At first her hull was blacl; then light blue; then dark blue with red boot-topping. Nor did LOCHNELL have a funnel; exhaust gases vented through her sides.

She proved a reliable little ship and the new, steady service to Lismore was much appreciated. She was normally relieved by one of the open “red boats” stationed at Iona. In 1958 LOCHNELL was re-engined, and in 1965 she traded stations with LOCH TOSCAIG, assuming the Kyle of Lochalsh-Applecross service as well as a regular morning cruise, and also the thrice-weekly mail run to Kylrhea in place of APPLECROSS.

In May 1968 LOCHNELL was transferred again, to the Tobermory-Mingary run in succession to LOCHBUIE, and on this she spent the rest of her MacBrayne career, being relieved by assorted chartered launches. On 1st January 1973 she was not transferred to Caedonian MacBrayne Holdings Ltd and remained registered to David MacBrayne Ltd.

From 1976 she also started tendering to IONA at Tobermory, the car ferry at that time being the normal winter vessel for Coll and Tiree.

The passenger-only route to Mingary became an increasing embnrassment to CalMac and in 1980 they successfully negotiated to reduce it to a summer-only service. LOCHNELL retired on 7th March 1981, giving way to the launch STAFFA and retreating to lay-up at Shandon. She was sold to TBJ Marine Ltd of Dumbarton and handed over on 10th June, 1981, and has since had a variety of private owners and adventures – privater charter; excursions on the Clyde and latterly cruises from Ballachulish around Loch Leven. Following both a sinking and a fire there, she was reported in 2001 to be laid up on the River Cart at Paisley.

Lochnell

Iona and Lochnell at Tobermory

All content © 2001 - 2020 Ships of CalMac unless otherwise stated.

THIS SITE IS NOT LINKED TO THE OFFICIAL CALMAC WEBSITE

Ships of CalMac is a free resource funded by its creators.

  • SoC Forum
Lochnell